Creating builtingroup fails with NTSTATUS_ACCESS_DENIED with idmap hash backend

Partha Sarathi parthasarathi.bl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:00:44 CEST 2015

Thanks Richard.

we  ended with WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND error in the below function

static wbcErr wbcRequestResponseInt(
int cmd,
struct winbindd_request *request,
struct winbindd_response *response,
NSS_STATUS (*fn)(int req_type,
 struct winbindd_request *request,
 struct winbindd_response *response))
{
wbcErr wbc_status = WBC_ERR_UNKNOWN_FAILURE;
NSS_STATUS nss_status;

/* for some calls the request and/or response can be NULL */

nss_status = fn(cmd, request, response);

switch (nss_status) {
case NSS_STATUS_SUCCESS:
wbc_status = WBC_ERR_SUCCESS;
break;
case NSS_STATUS_UNAVAIL:
wbc_status = WBC_ERR_WINBIND_NOT_AVAILABLE;
break;
case NSS_STATUS_NOTFOUND:
wbc_status = WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND;      >>>>>>>> HERE
break;
default:
wbc_status = WBC_ERR_NSS_ERROR;
break;
}

return wbc_status;
}

The net ads join -d10  output

pdb backend tdbsam has a valid init
Could not find map for sid S-1-5-32-544
Trying to create builtin alias 544
lookup_sid called for SID 'S-1-5-32-544'
Accepting SID S-1-5-32 in level 1
lookup_rids called for domain sid 'S-1-5-32'
Sid S-1-5-32-544 -> BUILTIN\Administrators(4)
pdb_create_builtin_alias: Could not get a gid out of winbind
create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
Failed to auto-add domain administrators to BUILTIN\Administrators during
join: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Could not find map for sid S-1-5-32-545
Trying to create builtin alias 545
lookup_sid called for SID 'S-1-5-32-545'
Accepting SID S-1-5-32 in level 1
lookup_rids called for domain sid 'S-1-5-32'
Sid S-1-5-32-545 -> BUILTIN\Users(4)
pdb_create_builtin_alias: Could not get a gid out of winbind
create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
Failed to auto-add domain administrators to BUILTIN\Administrators during
join: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Regards,
--Partha

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com