tevent in multithreaded programs

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Fri Jan 30 13:02:53 MST 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:49:25 +0100
Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 12:30:27PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > I'm looking at using tevent in a multithreaded program, primarily to
> > handle socket descriptors. The basic idea is to have a tevent_wait loop
> > running in one thread that will handle events by dispatching them to a
> > workqueue (queue of jobs and a pile of threads to handle them).
> >
> > So basically we'll open a listener socket, and set it up to be watched
> > by tevent and run that in one thread. When a connect request comes in,
> > I want to dispatch the accept to a workqueue, which will then add the
> > accept()ed fd to the event context.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > - is this legit? Can I add events in one thread while the event loop is
> >   running in another?
> >
> > - if so, do I need to serialize that somehow (with pthread mutexes or
> >   something)? I assume so, since tevent is based on talloc and you need
> >   to synchronize between threads when dealing with talloc contexts...
>
> You pretty much nailed it I guess. talloc does not play well
> with threads if you want to share contexts. If you have a
> talloc root per thread it should be okay, but the NULL
> context is always a problem.
>
> Who will handle the tevent_loop_once?

A single dedicated thread for now. Eventually, I'd like to have
multiple threads running event loops, but they'd have different tevent
contexts.

> If it's only one
> thread, this might work. However, doing an tevent_add_fd
> from a thread where another thread loops in
> tevent_loop_once this will cause problems I guess. I'd
> rather use other mechanisms to make the tevent_loop_once
> thread add the fd.

Thanks Volker,

That's basically what Simo said too on IRC. His suggestion was:

- create a pipe, a list and a lock
- dispatch the accept to a workqueue thread
- once the accept is done, acquire the lock and add the new fd to the list
- drop the lock and then write to the pipe
- pipe event handler reads and discards all of the pipe data then
  acquires the lock and adds all of the fds on the list to the tevent