[Samba] OTP authentication

the2nd at otpme.org the2nd at otpme.org
Tue Jan 20 13:36:52 MST 2015

On 2015-01-20 19:24, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM,  <the2nd at otpme.org> wrote:

>>> Timestamp preauth is a norm in Kerberos environments now.
>>>
>>> With MIT Kerberos 1.11 we have now client-side support for OTP
>>> Preauth, as described in RFC 6560. In MIT Kerberos 1.12 a server-side
>>> support to have FAST OTP preauth that does OTP validation via RADIUS
>>> protocol was added, we use it in FreeIPA with a local helper that
>>> redirects validation requests from KDC to LDAP server bind requests
>>> and LDAP server handles OTP auth method. Works very well.
>>>
>>> You can read more at
>>> http://k5wiki.kerberos.org/wiki/Projects/OTPOverRADIUS and
>>> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/OTP
>>>
>>> It would be nice if Heimdal would support RFC 6560 as it was supposed
>>> in the original case of the work done Linus Nordberg which became OTP
>>> support in MIT Kerberos. People asked this several times but I guess
>>> the key part, as usual, is how to carve out required time for doing
>>> it.
>>

>> thanks for the infos. i must admit that my knowledge of kerberos is
>> not very
>> deep but i'll try to read AND understand the RFCs :)
>>
>> maybe you can give me some hints.
>>
>> as far as i know in non-otp setups, kerberos works without
>> transmitting the
>> clear-text password.
>>
>> - client send preauth info (timestamp encrypted with the user
>> password) to
>> the server.
>> - server verifies preauth info and sends tgt (encrypted with the user
>> password) to user/client.
>> - tgt can be used to get service tickets without re-auth with
>> key/password
>> - service tickets consist of two copies of the "session key". one
>> encrypted
>> with the password/key of the requested service (e.g. ldap) and one
>> encrypted
>> with the users password/key
>> - user/client decrypts service key and creates a new "packet" that is
>> crypted with the service key and contains a timestamp
>> - service (e.g. ldap) receives both "packets" from the client/user and
>> decrypts the packet that contains the "session key" (which is
>> encrypted with
>> its own service key)
>> - service decrypts the second "packet" that contains a timestamp
>> (which is
>> encrypted with the session key)
>>
>> that's what i've learned some time ago reading some howtos. not the
>> right
>> terminology and not in the very detail but i guess in general thats
>> how it
>> works?
>>
>> please correct me if i'm wrong. :)
> I'd refer you to
> http://www.roguelynn.com/words/explain-like-im-5-kerberos/ for an easy
> and picturesque explanation. :)

thanks for this link. it explains much better than most stuff i found on
the net. :)

but i think it misses the preauth step?

>> maybe you can describe shorthand how otp preauth works with kerberos?
>> guess the otp needs to be transmitted to the kerberos server as you
>> talk
>> about validation via radius?
> Yes, OTP token is transferred to the Kerberos KDC. In order to do that
> securely, an encrypted FAST channel first needs to be created. FAST
> actually supports multiple factors and OTP preauth relies on it.
> As an example, SSSD in Fedora 21 does support OTP with Kerberos when
> working against FreeIPA. It creates FAST channel using host/<fqdn>
> principal and then uses this encrypted channel to perform OTP
> preauthentication.

is the "host/<fqdn> principal" the host principial of the client machine
the user logs in from? and is this what is called "FAST armor key" in
linus presentation?

if this is the case it would not be possible to kinit with an OTP from
an client that does not have a host principal (/etc/krb5.keytab)? at
least not if the OTP is not available to the kdc like described on slide
14?

using the "The must-encrypt-nonce variant" from slide 13 should still be
possible?

and my last question for now. is this supported by windows and can it be
used with samba without the need of any client side installation? :)

> You can look at Linus Nordberg's presentation done in 2011 for details
> and references:
> http://www.kerberos.org/events/2011conf-interop/2011slides/2011kerberos_linus_nordberg.pdf

thanks a lot. all this makes it much easier to understand. much more
than reading the RFCs :)