splitout of samba-debug (was: Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jan 15 12:16:30 MST 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 07:27:34PM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> The symbols involved in DEBUG() and DEBUGADD(). Julien can provide the
> full list of symbols.

That would be helpful - if only to split out into a separate
library for OpenChange.

> > If it's "debug" why are they using our log files,
> > and not their own ?
> They're a plugin for Samba, they run in the same process space - much
> like e.g. VFS modules.
>
> Speaking of which, does this change not break externally built VFS
> modules that use DEBUG()?

To reinforce Volker's point, there are no externally built
VFS modules that we have to maintain in this way between
major releases.

In that - we only promise to maintain the VFS interface
as stable within a major release stream 4.X.y - ABI
remains stable with modification of 'y' only.

Any other external VFS modules will have to adapt,
as they already must do for major releases.

It isn't as though we made this change within
a release stream.