splitout of samba-debug (was: Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Jan 15 11:24:38 MST 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:12:05AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 04:53:36PM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>
> > If it does, it won't be able to write to the Samba log files. It would also
>
> Why are they writing to the Samba log files ? This is a bug,
> not a feature.

OpenChange server is a plugin to Samba, it just provides another DCE/RPC
interface. It is no different from epmapper or winreg. It calls out to
various Samba functions, all of which write to the Samba logs.

It is very inconvenient if you're trying to debug something and some
of the functions you call log to /var/log/samba and some of them log
to /var/log/openchange.

> > Considering the current set of public APIs to be set in stone seems
> > unreasonable, but we should at least be careful when making changes
> > to APIs in use by external projects like OpenChange or FreeIPA.
> Yeah, but they should also be careful using our API without
> telling us :-).
We explicitly started installing debug.h for OpenChange way back when,
sometime in 2005 when I modified OpenChange to be a plugin to Samba
rather than a fork of Samba.

I'm not suggesting that the current set of functions we provide in our
"public" API is pretty by any means. But please let's talk about how we
improve our public APIs so OpenChange (and other external users) can
prepare rather than be confronted with sudden changes that break their
users.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--