Samba and Python 3 (Was: Port pytalloc to Python 3)

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon Jan 12 06:58:17 MST 2015

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 11:08:52AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 18:03 +0100, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> > On 12/05/2014 11:10 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2014-12-05 at 11:04 +0100, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Thanks, that is helpful context.  It has been fun to see Samba become a
> > > core and required project for Linux, but it has me curious:  What on the
> > > live DVD is using our python bindings?
> >
> > Thanks for the question, and sorry for my late answer.
> >
> > The live DVD uses the Samba client. That depends on libsamba-net, where
> > "join" and "vampire" use param/provision.c, which imports the provision
> > Python module.
>
> While I'm hesitant to do anything that makes python 'non-core' for Samba
> (I want to see us use it more, not less), can you be specific about what
> is using the python tools or bindings?  Could all this be put off by
> simply not shipping samba-tool on the live DVD?

That is a good point. I think the only reason we have Python in libsamba-net at
the moment is to invoke the provision scripts. This is not necessary for any of
the client side SMB code. If you just need the client side SMB code,
perhaps we can split libsamba-net, so you can just ship the client-only side?

Cheers,

Jelmer