Dealing with SID history during group mapping?

Jim McDonough jmcd at samba.org
Fri Jan 9 04:26:54 MST 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 3:45 AM, Jim McDonough <jmcd at samba.org> wrote:
>> Richard,
>> On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Richard Sharpe
>> <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In dealing with SID history, is it appropriate to make a history SID
>>> to the same UID as the group it was migrated to?
>> Sorry, I'm unable to parse this unambiguously yet...sounds like
>> mapping a group to a UID, so please clarify this.
>
> It was a trypo. It should have said 'map a HISTORY SID to the same GID
> as the group it was migrated to'
>
>> mapping historical sids is...well...awful at best.
My current opinion is no.  It was in a trusted domain for some period
of time, and usually that domain no longer exists.  It's not an easy
question to answer, unfortunately.

But I can imagine someone will come up with a case where it needs to
be mapped to the same...

--
Jim McDonough
Samba Team