SMB3 encryption performance

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 12:47:38 MST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Simo <simo at samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-02-17 at 16:22 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:

>> > Forget libgcrypt, it is one of the most horrible APIs out there. It is simply
>> > a pain for every programmer. We have libgcrypt in libssh and I want to get rid
>> > of it.
>> >
>> > If you prefer something which is LGPL, then use nettle [1]. GnuTLS switched
>> > from libgcrypt to libnettle ...
>> >
>> > libcrypt from OpenSSL is another options. libressl is not in any distribution
>> > right now.

Since these are kernel interfaces ultimately, to get at hardware specific
features, why aren't we simply wrapping the kernel crypto (which does
detect hardware acceleration when available)?

Are these wrapper libraries stable?

http://www.chronox.de/libkcapi.html

Doesn't help for non-Linux, but I don't know how many other OS
have hardware optimizations for AES (other than Windows and Linux)

--
Thanks,

Steve