SMB3 encryption performance

Michael Ledford michael at ledford.cc
Fri Feb 13 20:29:27 MST 2015

Hi,

I've been investigating the performance of using a SMB3 encrypted
connection. Given the performance vs non-encrypted connections it seems
that encryption isn't being offloaded to CPU supported AES-NI. I found a
list message that indicates that AES encryption is performed by GSSAPI and
states that it should be up to the system libraries to provide support. <
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2013-May/092081.html>
However, giving a terse look at the source it appears that AES functions
are provided.

Could someone provide some clarification and guidance on what I can do to
get things improved?

Cheers,
Michael