[RFC] [WIP] tevent/glib integration

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Dec 16 14:08:25 UTC 2015

Hi Noel,

very interesting work! It would be really good to have this
problem solved cleanly in future.

However while reading the patches the first time, I have the feeling
that the approach adds a lot of complexity and yet another layer
of abstraction.

We used to have integration into a glib/gtk mainloop in the other direction
See the following link to the historic source:

https://git.samba.org/?p=samba-gtk.git;a=blob;f=common/gtk_events.c;hb=4129587eda424b80225db06c12815414f1c17888

That approach used the glib mainloop as master and was designed for gtk
applications
using our client libraries.

I think doing it in the other direction (where tevent is the master)
is also possible even without modifying the core tevent code!

Instead we can use a tracecallback and hook into the
TEVENT_TRACE_BEFORE_WAIT (and maybe TEVENT_TRACE_AFTER_WAIT)
events.

For samba this could be done within smbd_tevent_trace_callback().

In order to make this more generic we could add a helper function
which can be called in a TEVENT_TRACE_BEFORE_WAIT hook.

This function would maintain some metadata, it needs an array
of tevent_fd pointers and old array returned by g_main_context_query()
and have a 2nd array to get the new g_main_context_query() result.
Then it uses this information to work out which tevent_fd pointers need
to be added/modified/removed.

Instead of using g_main_context_default(), we should make use of
g_main_context_new(), g_main_loop_new() and
g_main_context_{push,pop}_thread_default()

See the current spotlight code.
https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=source3/rpc_server/mdssvc/mdssvc.c;hb=HEAD#l1807

Does that make sense to you?

metze