Samba DEBUG in OpenChange

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 14 22:30:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 10:12 +0100, Ralph Boehme wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 08:57:53AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > From lib/util/wscript_build:
> >
> > public_headers='debug.h attr.h byteorder.h data_blob.h memory.h
> > safe_string.h time.h talloc_stack.h xfile.h dlinklist.h
> > samba_util.h string_wrappers.h idtree.h idtree_random.h blocking.h
> > signal.h substitute.h fault.h genrand.h'
> > public_headers='tevent_ntstatus.h tevent_werror.h'
>
> hm. libsamba-util is public and installs debug.h, why can't
> Openchange
> simply link against libsamba-util? I must be missing something...

Because the debug.c file moved to a private library, samba-debug.  That
is the crux of the issue here, as I understand it.

> > Other place:
> >
> > public_headers='include/smbldap.h include/smb_ldap.h'
> > public_headers='error.h ntstatus.h doserr.h werror.h hresult.h'
> >
> > I mean, we publish samba_util.h, the very definition of a
> > kitchen sink. Do you really mean to seriously publish this
> > as an API???
>
> from a technical pov as far as it concerns the rest of Samba, what's
> the difference between a private library we can modify willy-nilly
> and
> a public library we can modify willy-nilly?
>
> Afaict, the only public Samba libraries where we actually take care
> of
> the ABI are those that use abi_directory and abi_match in
> bld.SAMBA_LIBRARY(), right ?
>
> Makes for three classes of libraries:
>
> 1) private libs
>
> 2) public libs without ABI guaranty, use at your own risk, ABI (and
> API) can change
>
> 3) public libs with ABI guaranty, like talloc
>
> 25df58a853d8d3ecab2705687453193cb676976c changed libdebug from class
> 2
> to 1, which I would consider the right thing to do from a technical
> pov.
>
> Afaict, making it public again (class 2, NOT 3), doesn't impose *any*
> restriction on us wrt to ABI or API.

Correct.

We should indeed minimise what we have in class 2, but we should do
with care and patience and a willingness to step back if we notice it
causing unnecessary problems for our friends.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba