Samba DEBUG in OpenChange

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at openchange.org
Sat Dec 12 16:35:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 06:43:53AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 02:13:00AM +0000, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Sorry, but the point of this e-mail thread escapes me. You asked
> > us what we need to fix compatibility with newer versions of Samba, and
> > now you don't like the answer you're telling us we should just fork
> > and go away?
>
> Initially I thought the issue is mainly about debug. During the thread I
> realized that the integration goes a lot further, OpenChange has a much
> deeper dependency on Samba iternals than I had initially realized. Today
> it's about debug, tomorrow it will be some libndr aspect and next week
> it will be something else. I am just worried that we will break your
> builds in the future without knowing again and again. This is what led
> me to think a fork is your best bet.

OpenChange only depends on two or three dozen functions in Samba,
exposed through various libraries. We're trying to get it down to just DCE/RPC/NDR.

At the moment we use:

 * DEBUG, as it's inherently tied to the rest of Samba
 * DCE/RPC client and server libraries
  + NDR
  + pidl
 * LoadParm (mostly lpcfg_parm_{string,bool})
 * Service registration in the daemon

We have concrete plans to migrate away from both DEBUG and LoadParm, but
for that the DCE/RPC and NDR libraries in Samba that we use will need
to be able to work without DEBUG.

We have much longer term plans to run OpenChange as a separate binary
that registers the Exchange RPC interfaces with the Samba daemon
over the endpoint mapper. But considering our resources, that is
unlikely to happen any time soon.

Simple changes to the API we can deal with - it's the fact that DEBUG has
completely disappeared from the public API that is problematic. If we
can make it public again until the work on logging in OpenChange is
finished, that would be great.

I was hoping somebody else on the OpenChange side would take care of
this. :-/ I'll see if I can find some time this week to send out a patch
that makes DEBUG public again.

Cheers,

Jelmer