Unable to map a network drive on my PC to a shared directory on my LINUX server

Kenneth Watanabe watana43 at unlv.nevada.edu
Sat Dec 12 00:53:47 UTC 2015

To samba technical support,

I installed samba on my LINUX server.

Below is a copy of my /etc/samba/smb.conf file

 [global]

    workgroup = WORKGROUP

    netbios name = SAMBA

    server string = Samba Server Version %v

       map to guest = Bad User

       log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

       max log size = 50

       preferred master = No

       local master = No

       dns proxy = No

       security = User

[share]

       path = /home/kwatanabe/share

       valid users = kwatanabe

       read only = No

I typed the following command to ensure the smb.conf file had no errors

root# testparm

The testparm command completed successfully with no errors.

Then I added a samba user via the following command:

root# smbpasswd -a kwatanabe

Then I restarted samba with the following command

root# service smb restart

I clicked on the map network drive icon in windows explorer and entered
"\\131.216.46.60\share". The following message appeared for several minutes:

[image: Inline image 1]

Then the following error appeared.

[image: Inline image 2]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.