Samba DEBUG in OpenChange

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at openchange.org
Wed Dec 9 02:07:39 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 07:53:03PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2015 at 11:03:28AM -0700, Christof Schmitt wrote:
> > That does not work with the current code. debug_backend_parse_token just
> > calls atoi to get the log level. At this point, the logging to backends
> > just filters by one log level, it is not look at the classes.
>
> Maybe OpenChange should just go and incorporate our 4.1.18 tree and
> live with it. Jelmer, would that be easier for you? This way you will
> get independent of our unintended future breakages.

Sorry, but the point of this e-mail thread escapes me. You asked
us what we need to fix compatibility with newer versions of Samba, and
now you don't like the answer you're telling us we should just fork
and go away?

Samba has broken compatibility with OpenChange in post-4.1.18
releases, when the debug library was made private.

We *have* a plan on how to deal with this, documented in
doc/developer/logging.txt. This will involve some (minimal) changes
in Samba's DCE/RPC and pidl code to allow OpenChange to receive log
messages from DCE/RPC functions when called by OpenChange.

Yes, we do have concerns about API changes in Samba breaking
OpenChange. To combat this, we've analyzed what APIs from Samba
OpenChange currently uses and how we could minimize that. We
have a plan that will get us down to only relying on the
DCE/RPC libraries and main daemon integration (for the server).
But we've *never* asked that the Samba APIs we use should be set in
stone, just for a heads up in case of changes so we can adapt.

The debug classes and debug backends are interesting new features of
the debug subsystem in Samba, but I don't see how they are relevant
here (as explained in other emails in this thread).

Jelmer