Samba DEBUG in OpenChange

Tue Dec 8 07:14:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 09:56:00AM +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I think OpenChange has enough challenges as it is without maintaining a
> fork of Samba, just as Samba needs to stop maintaining a fork of
> Heimdal.
>
> Why is the fact that this project, which provides plugins for our code
> and has been an important fellow traveller for many years, is using
> DEBUG quite so important?  Many of our VFS modules would also do the
> same, so how is this different?

The difference is that OpenChange has to link against a stock delivered
Samba, using internals that never were intended to be published. External
VFS modules have the same problem, but OEMs with custom modules usually
ship their own build of Samba, something that OpenChange can not do.

Even with the pdb modules opened up for FreeIPA RedHat has just
reassured that when we have to change passdb, RedHat will change their
module. OpenChange does not have the resources to do so in time.

To properly support OpenChange, we have to stop changing any internal ABI
and just build future developments on top of the existing code base. This
is just not going to happen.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de