Samba DEBUG in OpenChange

Thu Dec 3 12:43:52 UTC 2015

Hi!

Julien, a few months ago we spoke about the use of Samba's
DEBUG in OpenChange. On your website you state that
OpenChange is designed for exactly Samba 4.1.18, I'm
guessing that the DEBUG issue is one of the reasons for
that. 4.1.18 starts to smell, given that within the 4.1
series it has been superseded by 3 releases and it's EOL
date is on the horizon.

When reading doc/developer/logging.txt in your tree I get
the impression that the whole issue could be solved by
either extending our debug backends (see lib/util/debug.c)
with an OpenChange-specific mechanism. This would interely
be possible, we have a whole bunch of highly specific
backends like LTTNG and GPFS. OpenChange wouldn't make a
difference.

If you don't want to extend debug.c, you might also use the
debug_set_callback() function and redirect the Samba RPC/NDR
debugs into your own mechanism in line.

How can we go forward here?

Thanks, Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de