smbpasswd file

Uri Simchoni uri at samba.org
Thu Dec 3 05:15:09 UTC 2015

Samba only uses smbpasswd file if "passdb backend" is set to
"smbpasswd". This setting does not support all the account information.
That said, for basic setups it can work.

The latest version of samba reads smbpasswd file every time a session is
established, in order to fetch the user's password and authenticate the
user. It may also read the file in other scenarios which are
application-specific (e.g. a VFS module requiring translation from
Windows SID to UNIX uid, or looking at a file's access control list via
the Windows security tab).

Each time the file is opened, it is also chmod'd to 0600.

HTH,
Uri.