round robin DNS

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 21:40:16 UTC 2015

As Rowland pointed out in his reply, I am not sure CTDB+samba work for
the AD part.
But it should work fine for file serving.

Roundrobin DNS is fairly standard and I think virtually all DNS
servers support and do RR DNS without any special configuration
needed.
It is also very easy to test. Just use nsloopup to lookup the name you
use for the cluster.
The list of addresses that the DNS server should be different/rotated
every time you re-lookup the name.

Depending on your use case, you may also want to look at the LVS
support in samba+ctdb.
This mode makes your whole cluster use just one single ip address and
then ctdb will loadbalance between the nodes internally.
This works best for use cases where you are read-mostly and most data
flows from the cluster back to the client.