Need help on "net ads join" fails when we have "%" in the username - 2nd Try........

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 16:32:43 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/08/15 16:37, Lokeshbabu Haribabu -X (lharibab - HCL TECHNOLOGIES
> LIMITED at Cisco) wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rowland,
>>
>> Microsoft 2008 server allows you create username with % in it. I was
>> working on bug to support special characters in domain name.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lokesh
>>

> You can create a username with a '%' in it on a Samba 4 AD DC, that doesn't
> make it a good idea. I personally do not know anybody whose name contains a
> '%' , so why should a username contain it. Just use common sense and
> disallow anything stupid, such as '%'

The problem is that Lokesh and the organization he works for probably
didn't do that. Likely it was a customer of theirs.

As I mentioned before, you simply cannot tell customers that they are stupid.

There is a need to handle this, and probably the simplest way is to
allow the delimiter to be changed.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe