Win2012 support (was: Re: s4 ldb tdb limits)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 26 19:29:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-08-26 at 15:46 +0200, Oliver Liebel wrote:

> I fully agree with Andrew.
>
>  From my point of view (and that of many customers) there are at this
> point
> 2 major tasks to get S4 into larger/enterprise scale:
>
> - Fast (LM)DB Backend
> - W2K12 DC compatibility

> W2K12 DC compatibility is another very important point ro talk about.
> i know, it's just not adding schema extensions,  but it's an
> important
> task to finish, to get S4 more widespread adapted by customers.
> We should talk about that in another thread.

The support required there is mostly in the KDC.  The primary change is
to enable and then use FAST, a Kerberos extension, and to deny use of
NTLM to Administrators.

I'll dig up the effort estimate I gave someone else when I get to work,
but the primary task was to finish the Heimdal upgrade to current
master, and then some changes to Samba.  It will also be vital to add
tests to ensure that when we switch to MIT, that the matching support
there also does what we want.

(Alternately, we could do it in the other order, depending on how
things land)