Samba shared directory is accessible but not able to drop file and files are invisible

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 25 16:48:43 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 05:57:38AM +0000, Anoop Singh wrote:
> Dear Group Members
>
> I am working on providing samba share on my customized Android device.
> I am able to share a directory using the below mentioned smb.conf but when I drop a file from windows machine to the shared Folder i.e. sharedDir through the network, It doesn't allow and moreover files are not visible on windows machine.
> I see the file is getting created on the device but the content of the file is not copied means file size on the device is zero. Here is the used smb.conf file content:
>
> [global]
>     workgroup = WORKGROUP
>     netbios name = netbios-name
>     interfaces = xx.xxx.xxx.xx/xxx.xxx.xxx.x
> #    server role = active directory domain controller
>     security = user
>     map to guest = Bad Password
>

>     [sharedDir]
>     path = /data/sharedDir
>     comment = samba share
>     public = yes
>     writable = yes
>     printable = no
>     create mask = 0755
>     guest ok = yes
>     browseable = yes
>     available = yes
>
> When I checked it on linux device it works fine. Files are getting created and files are visible also in the windows machine. I have attached the smbd log.
> Is this due to some OS support missing on my customized deice or do I need to configure smb.conf with some more parameters?
> Please let me know the solution.

The problem with a customized device is that only you
know what was done to it.

If Samba was working correctly then your smb.conf
setup looks fine.

You'll have to debug this by using debug level 10
logs and examining where the write isn't getting
done.

Android isn't (yet) a supported platform for
Samba as unrooted devices don't allow applications
to bind to low ports.

Jeremy.