Printing file from samba shared folder

Anoop Singh anoop.singh at celstream.com
Thu Aug 6 13:48:22 UTC 2015

Dear Group Members

I want to drag and drop a file from windows machine into samba shared folder visible on windows network and print it with default options. Here is the smb.conf which I am using.

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    netbios name = ABCD
    interfaces = xx.xxx.xxx.xx/xxx.xxx.xxx.x
#    server role = active directory domain controller
    security = user
    map to guest = Bad Password
   load printers = yes

   printing = cups

   printcap name = cups

    [sharedDir]
    path = /data/sharedDir
    comment = samba share
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    create mask = 0755
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes
    available = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = yes
  print command = echo "NEW: `date`: printfile %f" >> /tmp/smbprn.log

Is it possible to just drop a file and automatically samba can send it to print? Is any manual command needs to be given from windows on the file to print e.g., right clikck+print ?

Is there any way to notify samba about the file drop in samba shared folder that it forwards the request to any printer connected to it.

Please let me know what modification is needed in smb.conf to achieve it.

Thanks & regards,
Anoop.

DISCLAIMER: This electronic message and any attachments to this electronic message is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. It is the property of Celstream Technologies Private Limited. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby strictly notified not to copy, forward, distribute or use this message or any attachments thereto. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies thereof, from your system and notify the sender at Celstream Technologies or administrator at celstream.com immediately.