Patch: Fixed patch for moving RSVD/SHVXD to vfs_default

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 20:41:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:
> On 2015-08-04 at 21:56 +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
>> >
>> > Why? These are the same as Extra Create Parameters in Windows and they
>> > belong in NTFS, AFAICT.
>> >
>> > In addition, we already pass these to the VFS layer, and why should we
>> > have to add code to the SMB layer for each new ECP/Create Context
>> > Microsoft adds?
>>
>> iirc it was me who added the create contexts to
>> SMB_VFS_CREATE_FILE(). Makes sense to me.
>
> Oh, I didn't realize that. This is awful from a software layering
> point of view (just in my humble and possibly naive opinion...).
> These create contexts belong to the SMB level. The VFS represents
> the virtual NT file system layer. Some of the create contexts may
> represent things that need to have an effect to the vfs layer.
> In that case, I'd say we need to provide something special.

I think you are wrong here. Create Contexts are mapped from Extra
Create Paramaters on Windows, and they can come from userland on
Windows:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557244(v=vs.85).aspx

Here is a list of ECPs that originate above the redirector:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556779(v=vs.85).aspx

Notice that last one!

--
Regards,