Patch: Fixed patch for moving RSVD/SHVXD to vfs_default

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Aug 5 18:42:23 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-04 at 21:56 +0200, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 12:06:38PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:
> > > Wait a minute ... the vfs should not be fiddling
> > > with smb2 create contexts! IMHO, this belongs into
> > > smb2_create.c and nowhere else.
> >
> > Why? These are the same as Extra Create Parameters in Windows and they
> > belong in NTFS, AFAICT.
> >
> > In addition, we already pass these to the VFS layer, and why should we
> > have to add code to the SMB layer for each new ECP/Create Context
> > Microsoft adds?
>
> iirc it was me who added the create contexts to
> SMB_VFS_CREATE_FILE(). Makes sense to me.

Oh, I didn't realize that. This is awful from a software layering
point of view (just in my humble and possibly naive opinion...).
These create contexts belong to the SMB level. The VFS represents
the virtual NT file system layer. Some of the create contexts may
represent things that need to have an effect to the vfs layer.
In that case, I'd say we need to provide something special.

One may find me guilty of overdesign, but I would like to
increase the layer separation between SMB / NT VFS / POSIX VFS
rather than blurring it further.

Cheers - Michael