What was the resolution about why we are talking to DCs when a client authenticates with Kerberos

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:25:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Uri Simchoni <urisimchoni at gmail.com> wrote:
> The "shit-loads of DNS" is not my experience. Winbindd is supposed to
> keep an open SMB connection (for RPC) and an LDAP connection per
> domain. There was bug 11259 that caused an ldap reconnect per request,
> if ldap was signed/sealed. After that got fixed, there was one ldap
> and 3-4 RPCs per session-setup (typically, that obviously depends on
> size of PAC and state of the winbindd cache), and that's what Jeremy
> started working on. Once it came down to one ldap + a few RPCs, it
> became bearable and dropped in priority, although I would love to see
> it work without contacting at all - better scalability etc.

I am seeing 80+ DNS requests, which might be because we have 5 DCs in
the domain being queried!

However, real customers out there (Fortune 500) are likely to have the
same sort of thing, and it is a big problem when, because someone
screwed up DNS server specification (not wrong, just on a different
subnet) all of a sudden authentication starts failing or taking a long
time.

Windows does not have that problem. Samba does!

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe