How to work with Samba (licensing).

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Tue Apr 28 16:21:41 MDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 06:05:46PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > Ironically, I was looking to help the non-lawyers not need lawyers ;).
>
> Oh - that's *really* hard :-).

If you lay out every option and nook and cranny... Yes, it is bloody hard.
If you KISS, it may be intelligible for someone.

> > So the doc is close... but not QUITE what I'm looking for... which is
> "The
> > Idiot's Guide".
>
> Trust me, you don't want idiots doing your licensing :-).

I think I was looking for "How to Develop on GPLv3 Software for Dummies" :).

I realize that defining a simple path to success is harder... but it is
more useful in a sense.  It tells people "Hey, if we check these boxes,
we're going to be ok."

I *do* believe there is a set of boxes that CAN be checked.  The goal is to
have people comply with the license... so why not teach them a practical
HOW?

Just something to think on,

-Ira