How to work with Samba (licensing).

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Apr 28 14:54:09 MDT 2015

Hi all,

Ira brought up an interesting topic with me today.

There are many OEMs out there using Samba (and I try
and help any and all of them who ask), and one of the
common requests is "Your licensing is hard, how do I
work with this stuff ?"

I realized that perception is right. Where is the
easy-to-use guide for the rights and responsibilities
of people wanting to use Samba in products ?

Then I realized it already exists - and in the best
Open Source/Free Software tradition, someone else
has already written it :-).

So if you haven't already, I suggest you check out:

https://copyleft.org

especially:

https://copyleft.org/guide/

There is *REALLY* good information here, written
by our friends at the Software Freedom Conservancy
(who are the umberella organization for Samba) and
the FSF.

If you want to use Samba in a product, and want
any lawyers you work with to understand how our
licensing works and how to work with it - you
should point them at this web site.

Lawyers will love it (non-lawyers not so much :-) !

Cheers,

	Jeremy.