Release early, Release often

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 06:21:10 MDT 2015

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 4:06 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
[snip]

> The position I have is that, now that we are past the disruptive time of
> the 4.0 merge, we just shouldn't be waiting for features.  We should
> instead have a much more 'linux-kernel' release schedule, making new,
> production releases on a time-frame measured in months, not years.
>
> We need a much higher release velocity to give our users and customers
> confidence that even if a feature is on the Roadmap as under active
> development, or that if a feature is in master, that it will soon be
> in a release.

How would it be decided which features and bug fixes make it into a
release?  Would there be a merge window as the kernel has and anything
merged then will be in the RC/release, or would whatever is ready
and/or non-breaking when it's time to cut a release (after all
blockers are resolved)?   Also, I assume that the current policy for
critical and non-critical security issues will remain unchanged.

I do like this idea as I get enough grief from people that it's not
nearly unheard of for a Samba minor release to break something due to
the amount of changes that are in a release. It has gotten much better
lately, but it takes a while for users to unlearn patterns.

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.