TTL value

Fri Apr 24 02:17:33 MDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 11:33:09PM -0400, rac8006 at aol.com wrote:
> I'm investigating why the browse.dat file on my system is  written every
> few minutes.  I've traced part of it to update_server_ttl being called frequently.
>
> update_server_ttl is being called by process_local_master_announce.  Is there
> some reason that my DNS-323 which is the master is sending this request.
> The ip_default_ttl value on the DNS-323 is 64.  Is this a normal value?

nmbd has a comment:

                /*
                 * Write out a snapshot of our current browse list into
                 * the browse.dat file. This is used by smbd to service
                 * incoming NetServerEnum calls - used to synchronise
                 * browse lists over subnets.
                 */

This pretty much describes the purpose of browse.dat. If you
are never a local master browser, you can probably just
comment out all calls to write_browse_lists as a very quick
workaround.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de