More forest trust related patches

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Apr 14 23:00:02 MDT 2015

On Sun, 2015-04-12 at 21:38 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I moved a lot more stuff to the -ok branch (Note I also changed fixed some
> of the dsdb_trust_* helper functions compared to the last patchset!)
>
> It passed autobuild a few times and it's ready for master from my site.
>
> Note that samba-tool domain trust create needs to generate a true
> utf8 based password if --no-aes-keys is given, this is required
> because our kerberos client code can't handle random utf16munged passwords
> for arcfour-hmac-md5 pre-auth yet.
>
> However there're a few TODO's in the remaining patches.
> It's mainly related to bug #11130, where we should allow
> COMPUTERNAME at REALM and map it to COMPUTERNAME$@REALM.
> The same applies also for trust accounts (I guess it's just based on the
> '$').
> It's allowed as a client and also as a service principal.
> I added some tests for it and hacked a mostly working (but ugly
> implementation),
> Andrew maybe you can work out a better fix :-)
>
> Note that winbindd uses MYDOMAIN at OTHERREALM for kinit and generates some
> warnings
> without the fix for bug #11130, but it still work fine.
>
> Please review and push the -ok patches.

This is really, really good.  The only concern I still have is around
testing.  We need tests that
- walk over all the new samba-tool domain commands.  That is important
because otherwise we won't even notice if we break them when trying
python3 upgrades, or other sweeping changes.
- specifically test for the referral shown by behaviour
HDB_ERR_WRONG_REALM.  This is important because we will soon need to
update Heimdal, and folks like Debian combine Samba with untested
upstream versions.
 - test for (the ban on) changing the trust password over LDAP
 - test for listing local groups on the AD DC
 - test different KVNO values on trusts
 - test the new --local-dc (special_name) handling in Credentials

I realise that some of this is tested in integration tests, but I'm
starting to insist on unit tests (like the great work on the $ removal
stuff) for KDC changes.  The other issue with the integration tests is
that a number of tests (validation, namespaces) are being done in the
environment creation, when these should be done as distinct unit tests.

I do realise I'm asking for a lot of work, and I'm happy to help on
this, either between now and SambaXP, or at SambaXP, so we get this done
right.

Thanks!

http://samba.org/~abartlet/