samba 3.6.9-164 - is "kernel oplocks = no" option viable on purely Samba shared FS?

Karel Lang AFD lang at afd.cz
Mon Sep 22 15:37:03 MDT 2014

Hi Ira,
thanks for kind reply. Actually i don't want want to remove 'oplocks'
option as it is as you say enabling the file caching at client side an
as such speeds things over the LAN (as far as i understand it)

Jeremy Allison already confirmed the 'kernel oplocks' option (which
takes care about linux level locking) is still Global option
(unfortunatelly).

So i plan on my shares, that are purely Samba Fileserver FSs turn the
'kernel oplocks' to 'no' (because no unix processes access those FS) and
keep 'oplocks' on (as it is enabled by default anyway).

Thank you for mentioning to me those level2 oplocks, i'll have to study
those to more detail!

cheers,
Karel Lang