samba 3.6.9-164 - is "kernel oplocks = no" option viable on purely Samba shared FS?

Karel Lang AFD lang at afd.cz
Sun Sep 21 22:32:28 MDT 2014

Hi,
anyone tried to speed up samba file transfer over the network by turning
off the kernel opportunity locking - the so called:
"kernel oplocks = no" on production server, if yes, were the results
safe enough (in regards of data consistency)?

2 questions:

1.
In scenario, where you have purely data storage filesystem (no apps, no
databases anything), shared only over Samba and accessed by windows
client workstations - would it be OK to use the "kernel oplocks = no"
option?

2.
is the "kernel oplocks = no" still Global option??
it used to be a global option, but i read somewhere that devs wanted to
code it as 'Share' option - which would be great for testing ..

I'm asking this because i found out some 2years old discussion from
list, where Christian Ambach was doing something about it. But i can't
find more 'fresh' info and official 'Samba 3 howto' documentations lists
the 'kernel oplocks' as 'Global' option..

I tried to post this question to regular 'general' samba forums, but as
noone replied there, i figgured this could be the right place to ask ..

thank you