Symbolic link file support.

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 22:45:50 MDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Scott Lovenberg
<scott.lovenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Hemanth Thummala
> <hemanth.thummala at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the confirmation Jeremy!

>>> We don't currently support creating reparse points,
>>> there's never been a demand for it.
>>>
>>> Should be an interesting minor project to do it
>>> though :-).
>>>

> Hi all,
>
> I actually looked at this a year or two ago.  It's not an unreasonable
> amount of work that has to be done to support reparse points, but it's
> certainly not a trivial amount of work; I had to dig through quite a
> bit of Microsoft documentation just to get a handle on the problem
> space.  You might want to ping Richard Sharpe (I'm CCing him) as he
> was also doing some work on this a while ago, IIRC.

So the issue here is that Samba does support some reparse points.
Well, only one: DFS Referrals, which are actually reparse points.
However, Samba does it by using symbolic links of the form
cifs:something-or-other as I recall.

So, the thing to do would be to create a proper name space and perhaps
use the reparse tag as the name-space name (ie, before the colon.)

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe