4.2rc2 and winbindd

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Mon Oct 20 07:23:05 MDT 2014

On 2014-10-20 at 13:46 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 20/10/14 13:34, Michael Adam wrote:
> >Hi Rowland,

> >>I thought that the whole idea of changing 'winbind' to 'winbindd'
> >>was to get all the benefits of the established winbind without
> >>having to do anything special, you are now saying that 'Something
> >>special' may be required, if this is the case, just what is required
> >>????
> >There are several points for using winbindd.
> >Here are the two (imho) most important ones:
> >
> >- Make use of winbindd's ability to speak to other domains
> >   (the winbind internal samba component can't), hence enabling
> >   support for trusts!
> >
> >- Don't maintain two winbind implementations but just one.
> >
> >That being said, winbindd is avery versatile, flexible tool
> >that can be configured in various ways. So similar to the
> >mode of samba starting smbd for file serving, which also
> >enforces several parameters for the running smbd (which reflects
> >the special purpose for which smbd is run, namely to serve
> >SMB in a DC setup), I could imagine that samba enforces
> >several parameters to reflect the special situation.
> >That's what I meant with special.
> >I have not found anything special though with a brief look at
> >the code.
> >
> >But that being said, of course things should work in the DC
> >setup, and you have most certainly found a problem.
> >Since I did not have the time yet to dig deeper, I don't know
> >the answer yet. So we'll need to do more testing / digging until
> >we find it or possibly Andrew can shed some light.
> >
> >We should have some nss-level test also in our selftest.
> >(If this is not the case, then it needs to be added...)
> >The samba-setup for this test (from the selftest provisioning
> >code) would tell us how to proceed.
> >(Just trying to give a few hints as to where I would look next
> >if I had the time right now..)
> >
> >Cheers - Michael
> >
> Hi Michael, I have the feeling that you would like me to compile
> samba again,

No, not at all!
I don't think your build is the problem.

I was just trying to explain why I think that winbindd may
be started with slighly different parameters from the samba
daemon than when it is launched directly.

We need to get the config parameters straight, and then,
when we have identified the problem and possibly created
a patch for the code, then you will need to recompile. ;-)

Cheers - Michael