4.2rc2 and winbindd

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sun Oct 19 14:16:47 MDT 2014

On 2014-10-19 at 16:01 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 19/10/14 15:55, steve wrote:
> >On 19/10/14 16:39, Rowland Penny wrote:
> >>So you missed the release notes then ;-)
> >>
> >>Winbindd is now used on the Samba AD DC by default, replacing the
> >>partial rewrite used for winbind operations in Samba 4.0 and 4.1.
> >>

> >We have this:
> >
> >>Release Announcements
> >>=====================
> >>
> >>This is the first preview release of Samba 4.3.  This is *not*
> >>intended for production environments and is designed for testing
> >>purposes only.  Please report any defects via the Samba bug reporting
> >>system at https://bugzilla.samba.org/.
> >>
> >>Samba 4.3 will be the next version of the Samba suite.
> >

> OK, I give in, where did you get that from ? mine came from the
> 4.2rc2 release notes that Karolin Seeger posted on Wednesday.

Until the time when the v4-2-test branch was forked from master,
the release notes for 4.2 were maintained in master. At fork
time, which was 4.2.0rc1, the release notes in master were
reset for future work for 4.3. So while Rowland was testing
with the 4.2 tarball, steve was testing from master.

Cheers - Michael