Patch: Implement FSCTL_LMR_REQUEST_RESILIENCY

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Oct 10 02:37:35 MDT 2014

On 2014-10-09 at 16:43 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 12:07:14AM +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> > > That is great to hear!
> > >
> > > But these details are not so abstruse at all I'd say,
> > > but essential to our implementation of these features.
> > > After all, if we offer the possiblity to run vm images
> > > off a samba server, we have to make it vaguely safe I think.
> >
> > We already have a "fake oplocks" option, we could also have a "fake
> > resilient handles" option...
>
> Perfect :-). Of course we should deprecate it as soon
> as the real underlying code is working :-).

Yeah, we can do that.
But we have to make sure that the documentation
carries a big fat disclaimer. Also the code
should spit out warning debug messages when these
are used.

We could do the same for persistent handles,
ca shares, etc. We have code that implements
parameters to trigger these options since >= 2 years
but only used them for test and development purposes.
We never proposed them upstream, because there is no
flesh behind them yet, and they are hence dangerous
if used in real setups. But I could imagine bringing
these to master with the "fake " prefix as tracer
ammunition so that people can see in test setups where
the journey is leading...

I will prepare some patches...

Michael