Patch: Change create blob tags to be blobs as well to handle stuff done by HyperV over SMB

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 11:42:20 MST 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 3:17 AM, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher
<metze at samba.org> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
>> This builds against the latest master branch (as of today).
>>
>> However, some of the names I am not happy with some of the names and would
>> appreciate any feedback.
>
> Do we really need that?
>
> We already have
> #define SMB2_CREATE_TAG_APP_INSTANCE_ID
> "\x45\xBC\xA6\x6A\xEF\xA7\xF7\x4A\x90\x08\xFA\x46\x2E\x14\x4D\x74"
>
> Shouldn't something like that also work?

Hmmm, having looked at the wireshark code around this again, while the
APP_INSTANCE tag that wireshark knew about before the VHD stuff was a
UUID encoded as an ascii string, the new one is just a binary blob.

However, there are, indeed, no NULLs in the UUID, so that approach
would work just as well for the nonce.

Eg,

#define SMB2_CREATE_TAG_SVHDX_OPEN_DEVICE_CONTEXT "\x92\xcf\xcb\x9c..."

(Or something, I will have to look at the specific sequence of bytes
in the capture).

So, I will keep these around in case we need them in the future.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe