Why would ctdb need to be in no-lmaster or no-recmaster modes?

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Nov 20 14:40:52 MST 2014

Hi Richard,

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 09:47:18 -0800, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to understand ctdb more and wonder why we need those two
> flags/capabilities in ctdb.

From ctdb(7):

       The RECMASTER and LMASTER capabilities can be disabled when CTDB
       is used to create a cluster spanning across WAN links. In this
       case CTDB acts as a WAN accelerator.

That was written by Ronnie so he may be able to explain what he had in
mind.

My understanding is that nodes without these capabilities can still be
DMASTER for records, so can still have Samba running on them. However,
to find the who is DMASTER the "remote" nodes will still need to go to
the LMASTER.  I've never understood the term "accelerator" in this
context...

peace & happiness,
martin