Is Kerberos Required on Linux to Enable NTLM Authentication ONLY Using Samba / Winbind to a Windows AD Domain?

Vince George (vincgeor) vincgeor at cisco.com
Fri Nov 14 06:29:58 MST 2014

Hi All,

I think I may be working of bad setup instructions which never mention any Kerberos setup pre-requisite prior to installing & configuring Samba / Winbind on a Linux box for the sole purpose of enabling NTLM authentication to a Windows AD domain to connect to a Share Point site (which uses that authentication).

So the question... Is Kerberos Required on Linux to Enable NTLM Authentication ONLY Using Samba / Winbind to a Windows AD Domain?

Thanks... Vince