Does Samba clustering with ctdb require idmap backend = tdb2?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 14:22:17 MST 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 1:09 PM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to set up a CTDB cluster and I notice that in the Samba
> Wiki, it says:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CTDB_Setup
>
> clustering = yes
> idmap backend = tdb2
>
> Also, what is the fileid:mappin = fsname entry about?

fileid:mappin = fsname

This entry is to handle the case when your cluster filesystem can not
guarantee a stable stat.st_dev
and thus if st_dev can vary across the nodes in the cluster then
(stat.st_ino, stat.st_dev) will no longer be
a clusterwide invariant.

For those filesystems you need to set
fileid:mappin = fsname
and this changes samba to instead use (stat.st_ino, <mountpoint name>) instead.