samba-tool ldapcmp and rodc and instanceType attribute

Denis Cardon denis.cardon at tranquil-it-systems.fr
Mon Nov 10 13:36:05 MST 2014

Hi all,

I was doing some cleansing of replicated DC recently, I tried a ldapcmp
between the central DC and a remote RODC. samba-tool ldapcmp already
ignore some attribute, but I think it should also ignore the
instanceType attribute.

Comparing:
'DC=r1,DC=tranquilit.local,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=tranquilit,DC=local'
[ldap://srvads]
'DC=r1,DC=tranquilit.local,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=tranquilit,DC=local'
[ldap://rodc-nantes]
     Difference in attribute values:
         instanceType =>
['4']
['0']
     FAILED

0x00000004 value means that the entry is read/write on that directory,
which is indeed not the case on the RODC (so the reported error is
actually a correct case)

Digging a little more in my RODC, I realized that many DNS entries has a
0x00000004 value... and only recently created entries has the 0x00000000
value.

This is probably a former bug that has been solved I guess. Do you all
advise to make a full sync of the remote partition when one upgrade to a
newer version to cleanup this kind of issue?

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon