Having problems getting Samba 4.1.12 to work on CentOS 7 ...

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Nov 5 13:44:02 MST 2014

On 2014-11-05 at 20:33 +0000, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 05/11/14 20:29, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>On 05/11/14 19:59, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >[...]
> >>>
> >>Yep and samba has changed as well, idmap uid & gid are both depreciated :-)
> >>
> >>You should be using something like this:
> >>
> >>idmap config *:backend = tdb
> >>idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
> >>idmap config SAMDOM:backend = ad
> >>idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
> >>idmap config SAMDOM:range = 500-40000
> >I do not have the luxury of being able to enter UID/GID info into AD
> >... so it would seem that I do not want to use rfc2307 mode.
> >
> >>Perhaps a quick scan of 'man smb.conf' would help ;-)
> >The smb.conf man page is the most useless document I have ever seen
> >unless you already know exactly what the problem is :-(

That's simply not true. It is a large document, because there is
a lot to document, it aims to be comprehensive. But we've tried
to improve the manpage a lot in the past.

E.g. id-mapping: Just open the manpage and start searching for
"idmap". After a few hits (that already point you into the right
direction), you'll end up at "idmap config:OPTION". If you read
the detailed explanation that follows, you should understand how
id-mapping works in samba 3.6 and newer.

Of course you have to know that there is something wrong with
your id mapping configuration. You might be able to tell that
from the logs. But the same applies to any document you want
to consult.

>  OK, try the 'rid' backend:
>
>    idmap config *:backend = tdb
>    idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
>    idmap config SAMDOM:backend = rid
>    idmap config SAMDOM:range = 500-40000
>
> And if all else fails, forget winbind and use sssd O:-)

Richard: just ignore that last remark. :-)

Cheers - Michael