Having problems getting Samba 4.1.12 to work on CentOS 7 ...

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:09:28 MST 2014

On 05/11/14 19:59, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks, there seems to be something I am missing.
>
> I have the following entries in the smb.conf:
>
>          security = ads
>          idmap backend = idmap_rid:RJSDOM=10000-100000000
>          idmap uid = 10000-100000000
>          idmap gid = 10000-100000000
>          template shell = /bin/bash
>          winbind use default domain = Yes
>          winbind enum users = No
>          winbind enum groups = No
>          winbind nested groups = Yes
>
> I have managed to join the domain as well.
>
> I have changed /etc/nsswitch.conf so that it says:
>
> passwd:     files winbind
> shadow:     files winbind
> group:      files winbind
>
> and I have winbindd and smbd running and wbinfo -u prints out the
> users I expect. However, getent passwd does not show me any Windows
> users.
>
> So, something is wrong. Does anyone have any clues?\
>
> They changed so much in RHEL 7 (grumble grumble)

Yep and samba has changed as well, idmap uid & gid are both depreciated :-)

You should be using something like this:

idmap config *:backend = tdb
idmap config *:range = 70001-80000
idmap config SAMDOM:backend = ad
idmap config SAMDOM:schema_mode = rfc2307
idmap config SAMDOM:range = 500-40000

Perhaps a quick scan of 'man smb.conf' would help ;-)

Rowland