Upgrading Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Nov 2 14:31:33 MST 2014

On Sun, 2014-11-02 at 10:34 +0200, Azhar Sharoof wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed before 2 years Samba Version 4.0.0alpha18 on Ubuntu 21.02 ,
> lately i have a problem with Kerberos (stops listening on port 88). from
> what i see from digging in the internet forums this version is outdated and
> should be upgraded and couldn't find any solution to my problem.
>

> I'm wondering if there is any way to fix the issue with Kerberos, and if
> not what's the best way to upgrade Samba version on other OS (i saw that
> the best practice is to install the new samba version on Ububtu 14.04), and
> keep all users and domain info.

It sounds like your KDC is segfaulting, you need to look into why that
happens.  Upgrading to a more recent packaged Samba may help, if the
issue is due to a mismatch in the Heimdal version that was expected by
Samba compared with what was linked to (we had some issues with earlier
Debian packages in this area).

In any case, not only is alpha18 old and unsupported, you won't be using
our production file server, you would be using the more limited NTVFS
file server.

So you have many good reasons to upgrade.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/