Comprehensive re-write of the classicupgrade HowTo and other changes

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:34:02 MDT 2014

On 29/05/14 20:12, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 13:24 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm talking about re-writing the classicupgrade HowTo since over a year
>> now. :-) Now, after three rainy vacation days, it's finaly done:
>>
>> A complete and comprehensive re-write of the classicupgrade HowTo:
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29
>>

>> Some other mentionable documentation changes, I had
>> done during the last week:
>>
> Hi,
>
> I also did some changes to the SSSD howto page:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Local_user_management_and_authentication/sssd
>
> In the page history I see that Marc already did an edit after I finished
> (thanks!) but feel free to review the page and comment further. It would
> be nice if some native English speaker could proof-read the language :-)

OK, you asked for it, here is the English version of parts of your howto ;-)

First is what you wrote, followed by what I would have written.

sssd can retrieve posix data (UID/GID, home directory, shell, etc.) from
AD, if you domain was provisioned with the --rfc2307 option. This allows
you a central management of posix data in AD with the common tools and
the same IDs on every machine.

sssd can retrieve posix data (UID/GID, home directory, shell, etc.) from
AD, if your domain was provisioned with the --rfc2307 option. This
allows for central management of posix data in AD with the common tools
and gives the same IDs on every machine.

Doesn't not need a KDC to authenticate.

Doesn't need a KDC to authenticate.
OR
Does not need a KDC to authenticate.

Non-Linux platforms, such as the BSD distributions, are not yet fully
supported by sssd yet.

Non-Linux platforms, such as the BSD distributions, are not yet fully
supported by sssd.
OR
Non-Linux platforms, such as the BSD distributions, are not fully
supported by sssd yet.

If you have compiled Samba 4 by yourself,

If you have compiled Samba 4 yourself,

See ./configure --help for options, you can set to adapt the build to
your environment.

See ./configure --help, for options you can set to adapt the build to
your environment.

If you haven't adapt the ./configure options, you can link the module to
the corresponding directory.

If you haven't adapted the ./configure options, you can link the module
to the corresponding directory.

If your PAM installation searches its modules in a different location

If your PAM installation searches for its modules in a different location

Connections with this setup will be unencrypted, except you have setup
LDAP over SSL on your DC and change the following example sssd.conf
accordingly!

Connections with this setup will be unencrypted, unless you have setup
LDAP over SSL on your DC and changed the following example sssd.conf
accordingly!

Create a new user account in your AD, sssd will use to bind via LDAP

Create a new user account in your AD that sssd will use to bind via LDAP

Hint: If you do changes on the sssd.conf, you should clear the cache, to
make sure, that the new results really come from the source and not from
the cache.

Hint: If you do changes to sssd.conf, you should clear the cache, to
make sure that the new results really come from the source and not from
the cache.

Other than these few minor language problems, it is a great howto.

Rowland