Comprehensive re-write of the classicupgrade HowTo and other changes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 28 16:22:13 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 13:24 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm talking about re-writing the classicupgrade HowTo since over a year
> now. :-) Now, after three rainy vacation days, it's finaly done:
>
> A complete and comprehensive re-write of the classicupgrade HowTo:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Classic_Upgrade_%28NT4-style_domain_to_AD%29

One bug I noticed (and I would just fix, but I wanted to first
understand what made you say that) is:

"When using the passdb backends smbpasswd or tdbsam, it is not possible
to automatically import groups from /etc/group during the
classicupgrade. This has to be done manually afterwards."

This isn't meant to be the case.  It is meant to work, but it uses the
*new* systems /etc/group file, if you move between systems, except when
using ldap (where it forces the ldapsam:trusted option, so that we don't
use nss for groups).

What we could do is permit a 'group' file to be put in the dbdir on the
new server, and somehow use that to get group memberships.

That said, I still wish to say thanks for your hard work on this, it is
really important work!

http://samba.org/~abartlet/