Security-level permission not working as expected on samba3.5.15

sandeep nag sandeepnagamalli at gmail.com
Mon May 26 19:07:02 MDT 2014

This is experimented on Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise:
I created a directory C:\share-dir , then given read-only share-level
permissions to testad\sekhar1 user. Now, when I do icacls below is the
output.

*C:\Users\administrator.TESTAD>icacls C:\share-dir*
*C:\share-dir TESTAD\administrator:(OI)(CI)(F)*
*             BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)*
*             TESTAD\sekhar1:(OI)(CI)(RX)*
*             NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)*
*             BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)*

*Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files*

After that, I have changed the share-level permission on C:\share-dir to
read&write to sekhar1 and then, when I do icacls, below is the output.

*C:\Users\administrator.TESTAD>icacls C:\share-dir*
*C:\share-dir TESTAD\administrator:(OI)(CI)(F)*
*             BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)*
*             NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)*
*             TESTAD\sekhar1:(OI)(CI)(F)*

*Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files*

@Richard: 1.Would you like me to perform any other test-case?
                2.Also please tell me, what all requirements to be answered
to upgrade our samba source to higher versions, such that I can get
                    a 'go' from my team. Like set of tests to be passed
etc. Such that I will do them and upgrade the samba.

Thanks,
Sandeep