Samba master AD DC with winbindd works!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 25 17:22:44 MDT 2014

G'Day,

With the latest patch set in my ad-dc-winbindd-pre branch, I have
demonstrated that winbindd can indeed fill the requirements of the AD
DC, as far as our testing can demonstrate!

I'm very pleased with how well it seems to be working, and while more
tests are very welcome, it passes our current tests remarkably well.

I do want to give a few notes of thanks.  First, I wish to give a very
big thank-you to all those who have been working on the DCE/RPC
libraries, the binding handle and pipe forwarding/unification efforts.
This effort was made significantly easier due to those efforts.

I was very pleasantly surprised to spend my time mostly wrangling
testsuites (to demonstrate a baseline, then traceable changes in
knownfail files), and not in subtle breakages.  Indeed, the only
'rathole' I got stuck down involved our AD DC schema code!

It also opens up great opportunities to progress on the subdomain and
trusted domain features.

Finally, it is important to say that this latest push has been supported
by Univention, who sponsored a full-time week to make a big push at this
task, and of course Catalyst IT who continue to be generous with the
time I can put into the AD DC.

Please test, by setting 'server services = -winbind +winbindd', and
review/push the ad-dc-winbindd branch.  This is an important feature
that users should be able to at least experiment with in Samba 4.2.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ad-dc-winbindd-pre

http://samba.org/~abartlet/