Server-side copy with sendfile system call

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Fri May 23 06:57:24 MDT 2014

On Fri, 23 May 2014 14:29:00 +0200, David Disseldorp wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 2014 16:46:36 +0800, Teng-Feng Yang wrote:
>
> > I make the function fallback to read/write procedure when src=dest and
> > pass the smb2.ioctl smbtorture test.
>
> Great!
>
> > However, I still can reproduce the performance issue mentioned before
> > by the following steps.
> >
> > 1. Create a 10G test file by dd:
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=zero_10G.img bs=1G count=10

> > 3. Recopy this file into the same directory from remote Windows server.
> > From the second time we do the server-side copy, the throughput number
> > will bouncing up and down between 120MB/s and 0MB/s repeatedly as
> > mentioned in previous message. The copy_chunk_slow.log was gathered
> > across this copy.
>
> The wire traffic looks okay, but the FSCTL_SRV_COPYCHUNK round-trip time
> is huge for some of the requests. I've attached a copy-chunk IOPS graph,
> that shows the stalls captured in copy_chunk_slow.log. Each of the flat
> ~0 IOPS sections is your client waiting for the server to respond to
> a FSCTL_SRV_COPYCHUNK request.
>
> Looking at the first slow IO (frame 209), the round-trip time for the
> request is 6.64 seconds! It requests a transfer of 16MB from the src
> to dest in 1MB chunks, and aside from the offsets it doesn't differ
> from the request immediately prior (frame 206) that completed in 0.13
> seconds.

Actually looking again at the graph, the drop in IOPS is suspiciously
consistent, occurring every 10-12 seconds. There's a good chance that
it coincides with a flush of the page-cache out to disk, in which case
you could try playing with your pdflush or IO-scheduler settings.
Also, Jeremy was looking at converting the code-path to use asynchronous
IO at one point. This would likely offer a significant increase in
performance for this workload, as it'd allow both client and server to
keep the IO pipeline full.

Cheers, David