What I'm working on, part 1: Testing clustered samba in selftest

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu May 22 16:49:46 MDT 2014

Hi list,

I just wanted to let you know what I am working on these days.
I have re-started my work on a clusteredmember selftest
environments that provisions ctdb and samba running on top of
it. The code can be seen in my "master-clusteredmember-selftest"
branch in

git://git.samba.org/obnox/samba/samba-obnox.git

https://git.samba.org/?p=obnox/samba/samba-obnox.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-clusteredmember-test

Current status:

- clusteredmember selftest env exists and sets up a 1-node cluster
  (so that it is not really a cluster yet but the code paths
   are executed)
- make test runs the tests that it runs against the member
  environment also against clusteredmember.
- ==> the 89 tests in 32 testsuites all succeed
- But first of all running the tests has unveiled a lock order
  violation bug (xattr.tdb vs g_lock.tdb) for which my branch
  contains a preliminary fix.
- autobuild's "samba-ctdb" target now runs the clusteredmember
  tests.

Next steps:

- run more tests against the clustered member env,
  especially  few smbtorture tests.
- BTW: Looking at selftest, I have noticed that most of
  the smbtorture tests are only run against a
  dc setup. I'd argue that we should actually
  run many of them, especially fileserver-related
  tests against a member setup.
- turn the 1-node cluster test env into a 2 or 3 node
  cluster. This should be easy.

Cheers - Michael